Tinkering School

come make amazing things with us

Tuesdays - Cyborgs - Week 6

Cyborgs (Fall 2016)Lindsay JonesComment

Today the teams worked on fine tune, very specific and frustrating parts of their projects.

Noe unsticks a jammed connection.

Noe unsticks a jammed connection.

The Vacuum Arm team is finding that mass producing their flexible connections is pretty tricky.  Last week they carefully measured out where to cut channels to fit the slider screws in. Today we discovered that measuring doesn't always match up with how things fit in real life.  When we tried to fit the pipes with channels into the connectors with holes, they didn't match up and definitely weren't flexible! UGGGHHGGGHHH!

Jaro and Nolan hold the support in the right place, while Raj attaches it!

Jaro and Nolan hold the support in the right place, while Raj attaches it!

Drill Arm team had a drill support to attach in just the right place as well as control strings that needed to be attached so they would last and also be exactly the right length. Two things that required very exact alignment and was much easier with 2 or3 or 4 helping hands!

Festus rotates the inner pipe to mark where the channel should go.

Festus rotates the inner pipe to mark where the channel should go.

To solve the measuring theoretical placement vs real life placement the Vacuum Arm team returned to the way they marked the original test connection: sticking a pencil through the screw hole and rotating the inner pipe to draw a line around it where the screw needs to go.

Drill Arm team learned a new knot! The Figure 8! They decided to use this knot, because it doesn't loosen and untie itself easily.

After a brain curdling afternoon of aligning, attaching, un doing and realigning - here is the final drill rig! The group spent the rest of the afternoon investigating more cushy materials, to make the arm more comfortable.

Over at the Vacuum Arm, Munir was working on making the vacuum into a backpack, by attaching straps to our frame.  Drilling through fabric is ridiculously difficult, because it likes to move with the drill bit. Last week we had struggled with wrapping the straps around the drill when we attempted to attach them to the wood. This week Munir clamp the fabric down tight so that it stayed in place while he secured it. Worked like a charm!

At the end of the day we spent a few minutes reflecting on our day. We all drew a picture of what we were proud of and something that we felt we could work harder on next time.  Each tinkerer  spent several minutes illustrating and making notes for each prompt and were super thoughtful - even though some were afraid to share. Taking the time to remember the triumphs of the day along with realizing where we could do better felt really nice.

Tinkering School is a trademark registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.