Today we finished our bookcase and live edge shelves, and installed them at the entrance to Tinkering School.
Ethan, Dexter and Trent focused on cladding the bookcase in strips of 2x3 re-sawed on the bandsaw. The bandsaw gives the piece a nice rustic texture.
Asa and Panu focused on assembling the home-welded shelf brackets to the live-edge shelves that we made from a redwood log.
Along the way they discovered some imperfect welds. Mistakes are, of course, part of the process--and so is fixing them. We went right to work on fixing the brackets.
By day's end the bookcase was in place and one of three shelves was up. It's really cool that every little part of the Tinkering School library was made by our young builders.
Except the screws and nails--for that we'd need a forge.