In the second to last week of the crane build, Tinkerers worked on fine details of the crane tower and container.
Today our goal was to be able to test the Crane out by the end of the day. To do that we needed to finish our swiveling plan, insert a pulley system between the arm and the hook, and because those things were so small and complex, we decided to make a car to pull our container to it's final destination!
After a week off, the Tinkerers came back ready for action. We started with an opening circle to identify the final steps needed to complete our crane project. We put our heads together and set-up our priorities.
Chloe started by attaching rope to the crane arm.
We clamped the arm on top of the tower for a trial run. The rope successfully pulled up a bucket with a bowling ball inside. By doing this we identified that we needed to attach handles onto the opposite end of the arm to make the lifting motion easier.
So the kids set forth to design and build a handle. To do this they drilled a 1/2" hole to fit a steel rod. Then they attached 2x3 blocks along the handle to keep it sturdy.
The other half of the group worked on attaching a spool holder for the rope and creating a deck on top of the tower that would securely hold the swiveling crane arm.
Happy Valentines Day!
We Love tinkering!
The tinkerers worked together today to make the crane tower stronger and safer. We checked for areas where screws may have been too short or the wrong size, we also looked for gaps in our construction, and checked the overall stability of the structure.
Leo presented an idea for a swivel top so that the crane arm could move from side to side. His plan consisted of attaching wheels onto the crane arm and adding handles onto the end of the arm to control its movement. At the end of our session everyone made drawings to share how we collaborated with each other.
In preparation to complete our crane project we took a week to step back and focus on safety and structural integrity. Half of the tinkering crew worked with pulleys, while the other half worked with scrap wood to try to build tables that are sturdy and level. Tinkerers were quizzed on using proper length screws and measuring accurately.
Today the Container team's goal was to add sides to the container. They all had different ideas of the best way to add walls and support at the same time. So they decided to do each side a different way!
To start week 3 of our project we looked at some images of cranes from the Port of Oakland to gain an understanding of how they work and we discussed how we could engineer our design to be sturdy enough to pick up and move a 5 gallon bucket of water. Dividing into two teams (Crane and Container), Tinkerers started by reflecting on the steps completed last week and making sketches for todays ideas.
Today we began working on ideas to move a large container of water from one place to another. The idea originated from the concept of ships and containers at the port and possibly inspired by the large amounts of rain.
We spit into two groups. One worked on the carrier for the container and the other worked on the mechanisms to lift and move the container onto the carrier. Scarlett, Chloe, Ayush, and Louis each took turns measuring and cutting pieces of wood for the container
It's a New Year and a New Set of Humans at Tuesday After School! This week, we started by getting to know the space, the tools, and each other.