Junior Day Camp
Everyone was so interested! The waitlist was so long!
We’ve heard you, and we’re pleased to announce a second Tinkering School day camp for Summer 2016: Junior Day Camp.
At Junior Day Camp, Tinkerers will spend five days building open-ended projects in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission District. In an environment that engages your child's mind and body, we will tackle unique building projects that capture imagination, spark creativity, and inspire teamwork and problem-solving -- but with a twist: this special session is only open to Tinkerers age 5-7.
The narrowed age range will allow the camp staff to target our open-ended projects to the imaginations and capabilities of younger creative makers. As always, we will be emphasizing building, and problem solving with real tools and real materials, and with the use of pre-cut wood we will have more time to focus on prototyping, creativity and teamwork.
- Session 6 - 7/25 - 7/29
- Session 7 - 8/1 - 8/5
- Session 8 - 8/8 - 8/12
- Session 9 - 8/15 - 8/19
- Session 1 - 6/20 - 6/24
- Session 2 - 6/27 - 7/1
- Session 3 - (No Camp This Week!)
- Session 4 - 7/11 - 7/15
- Session 5 - 7/18 - 7/22
Format of Camp
Each week of summer runs from Monday through Friday. Each week is different, and each project is unique. Monday morning is tool safety training, the project isn't revealed until after lunch! Every day week leave the building and walk to Franklin Square Park to play games, move our bodies, and take a break from hard thinking. We eat lunch in the fresh air and then return to our projects ready for an afternoon of focus and tinkering.
On Friday, the kids finish up building a little early, so that their families can come and experience the project in whatever state of completion the kids have attained. We all appreciate each other's hard work and what we've created together, then as a group we disassemble the physical evidence of our week of teamwork, problem solving, power tool operation, and fun!
We staff all of our camps and programs at 8:1 camper:collaborator ratios or better. One of the best ratios in the Bay.
- Junior Day Camps run from 9:30am until 3:15pm.
- Drop off starts at 9:15am.
- Pick up time is between 3:15 - 3:30pm.
- Before care starts at 8:30am
- After care goes from 3:30pm until 5:00pm (at 1960 Bryant Street)
What to Bring
- A nutritious and delicious lunch.
- A snack for snack time.
- A refillable water bottle.
- Closed-toe shoes (we work with heavy and messy things).
- Comfortable clothes that can get dirty. (Seriously, whatever they wear may get dirty or even torn).
- Sunscreen already applied for the day (send extra if your child has sensitive skin). We go outside every day.
- Camp costs $565/week
- Before care costs $55/week
- After care costs $85/week
1920 Bryant St.
San Francisco, CA 94110