Wow everybody, we really really did it! We built one enormous in three parts--head, thorax and abdomen. We included grasshopper legs, a scorpion's stinger, dragonfly wings, pinchers, antennae, and some monkey bars for good measure.
Our day started just like any other--with some reminders of our schedule and our goals. We'd spend the day collaborating, trying hard, making mistakes, and end up with a cool thing to play with and play in. Then, we'd take it all apart. But, someone asked, what if we don't finish? Well, that's a possibility, we reminded. And remember, finishing is not one of our goals!
When we came back from park, we checked in as a whole group to make a plan for moving the sections of the insect together. After the head moved into the main building area on Wednesday, the sections were pretty close to where they would end up. But, we realized the abdomen would need to turn all the way around, and have some long feet installed to help keep the heavy stinger from tipping it over.
After a quick reset and closing circle, we were all really ready to enjoy our enormous insect! So that's just what we did! We got eaten through the mouth, swung our way through the thorax, and explored the ins and outs of the abdomen.
And then we took it all apart! Thank you so much for all of your help with a quick and organized reset, it really does make our Friday afternoon so much easier.
And don't forget to check out the flickr for more pictures!