Today we finally put together the three working parts of our reverse engineered crane! That is, we could move the hook horizontally and vertically to pick up weights, and rotate the whole darn thing!
When we put the crane atop the tower, it was a bit wobbly--Giatta diagnosed the problem and delivered a solution (cinderblock as counterweight) in less than 10 seconds. We were all blown away by how rapidly she defeated the problem.
We all took turns operating the crane in teams of three (rotator, horizontal mover and vertical mover).
After the session, we took time to draw out where we would make improvements in a second iteration.