The parents depart and we come together as a group for the first time today at 4 with an opening circle. We talk about the three Tinkering School Rules:
1. Don't hurt yourself or anyone else..
2. If you see a fruit and you want it, you should eat it.*
*Don't take fruit off trees.
3. All disputes will be settled with "Ro sham Bo" (rock paper scissors)
(We also mention that spellings are not a thing at the tinkering school, as long as everyone understands what is written.)
We also introduce ourselves, our pronouns and our spirit tools.
Since this is a seniors group we also decide our bedtime and dinner time.
After we have all come together and seen each others faces we are ready for tool training and practice. We head to the work site, divide into 4 groups and:
1. Learn how to use a drill with Caroline.
2. Practice using a drill with Reid and build shapes of all forms.
3. Learn how to use a chop saw with Kaitlyn.
4. Try to build chairs with Rhody using just clamps.
5. Tour the site with Daniel.
The drill is used to make holes, drive in screws and drive out screws.
Justin and Andy visualize their shape. Deniz and Emily make sure that they have the right screw. Charlie tests the durability of their shape while Claire observes. Sonia's drill bit gets stuck in the wood, she figures out how to screw it back on and make a hole.
The three rules for using the chop saw are:
1. Always cover your eyes.
2. Always cover your ears.
3. There must always be an adult present.
Tinkerers try their hand at this very cool tool. They check if everyones ready and look around for thumbs up. They focus and make sure they will be making the correct cut. They turn it on and make the cut!!!!
The clamp challenge today was to make a chair using just clamps....
We have lasagna and salad for dinner and chat about pulleys.
Kaitlyn plays a game with us.
And we tinker some more....
The night ends with communal card games and chats in the conference center. It quiets down as the campers head to their yurts Saturn, Mars or Jupiter to sleep a sound sleep and get up tomorrow for another exciting day...